Wednesday, January 12, 2011

So far so good....

First, I'm still trying to get used of this whole blog thing.  So the "site" is under construction, but I figured I would attempt my first "blog", so bear with me while I get the design to my liking, may take a few days/weeks.  I don't know if I will have a schedule of when I post, maybe weekly or if I feel frisky, maybe daily  :-)

I'm doing this as a way to help hold me accountable during my training as well as to try something new.  This is definately out of my "comfort zone" as I usually keep things to myself.  It won't just be about running, because while life itself is a marathon, it's more about the journey and my journey includes other things....Once the 18 weeks are up, the actual marathon is done, but life will continue...I hope to grow and be bold enough to share about other things as well as motivate and inspire.  I'm not a teacher or a coach, but if I can inspire 1 person by doing this, then it will be worth it.

Part of me still is wondering what the heck I am thinking...haha  Then again, if you knew my plans on what I will accomplish next, then yes, I'm nuts...I've done 2 half marathons and I actually had fun, running both with one of my best friends.  Of course Marla is now disappointed, since I will not be able to run with her, since the Cap City half is the week before the Cleveland Marathon.  I'm bummed as well, but I can't run more than 6 miles that weekend.....After my first half, I literally could not move the next day and I didn't run for weeks/months.  October's half was much better and other than my IT band acting up, only took abt 2 weeks off.  Thats when my friend Jodi "told me" I was running the marathon with her....I told her that I would, as long as I dropped some lbs and my body handled the training.  I'm sure I will talk more of her running story later as she is one of the people who inspired me to start this blog (and forcing me to run...heehee...ok, encouraging me to run)
My biggest concern, quite honestly will be after the first long run.  Doing a half marathon and taking time off is one thing, but the training schedule has at least 12 days of over 10 miles...with the longest being 20.  No time to take a few weeks off....Intimidating to say the least.

Speaking of dropping lbs....Wednesday is my official "weigh-in" day, I am now under the 200lb barrier.  I let myself go and started getting healthy probably around July/August, since that's about when I decided to do my second half marathon....started working out, sort of eating healthy.....Ran that at 225lbs.  In the month following, gained some back.  I have been on Monavie's RVL Weight Management program and have lost 32.5 lbs since November 10th....pretty excited, but with the Marathon training, I've been told I need to eat MORE so my body does not start taking muscle away.  I do understand, considering in college I would probably eat at least 5-6,000 calories easily a day during swim season.  I still have probably 20 or so more lbs to go....but not counting so much now, as I'm gaining lean muscle too.  I am however now on a mission to have a six pack by the marathon at the latest....

Monday was the first "official day" of marathon training...Of course it was a rest day.  I spent my "rest day" in the pool that morning with a nice and easy 2 mile swim.  Nothing better than starting out your day with a swim.  I'm really not sure why, but I had a bit of excitement.  May have been the morning workout, maybe the anticipation of the next 18 weeks, maybe it was my good weekend that just ended.  But the day FLEW by....Got alot accomplished at work....I really wanted to hit the gym Monday night, but held back.  Need to realize that this is a marathon, not a sprint (pun intended)
Most people spent their night watching the BCS Championship game.  For some reason I just could not get into it.  Wanted Oregon to win since they were the underdogs, but also wanted Auburn to win, that way the NCAA would have egg on their face and two years from now will take the title away, tarnishing yet another event.  I did however turn it on with about 5 minutes to go and got to watch the exciting finish.

I got up early Tuesday to head to the gym.  Luckily there were open treadmills.  Got in my 3 miles (26:25) and felt really good.  I need to have more of a plan as far as paces and times for my shorter training runs.  But for this week my plan is to go fast enough to get a good cardio burn, but not fast enough to where I keel over.  When the guy next to you has to ask if you're ok after a run, (which has happened..haha) it may be a bit much.
I'm finding out I have more energy when I workout in the morning.  I was especially glad, due to the area getting a bunch of snow.  It still amazes me, for as long as I have lived in Ohio, how people freak out when the fluffy white stuff falls from the sky.  We live in Ohio people, not Florida!!  LOL
I'm not a big TV fan, got a few shows, but Tuesday is Biggest Loser night.  Something about it is inspiring, I love watching the transformation of "regular" people taking control of their lives.  I could do without the drama and screaming...lol

Today, instead of the snooze button, I just turned off the alarm....Oooops  Not enough time to go to the gym to get in my run before work.  So after work I went and hit the treadmill.  3 miles (25:17)  Felt great and decided to take it up a notch.  After the run and some light stretching, went to the Ultimate U in New Albany, where my buddy Sam is a trainer.  He runs some group classes and Wednesday nights are his cardio circuit training.  Its an hour long butt kicking, but fun workout.  It's a pretty cool way to mix things up.  Going to get those workouts in now, since once the runs get up there in mileage, won't be able to do those.

Tomorrows run will have to be an after work run, due to chiropractor appointment early in the morning....3 more miles....

I really need to work on getting to bed at a decent time....My body does not seem to mind going to bed around 1 or 2 and getting up around 5-6.  Of course in this whole "smarter/better lifestyle" thing I've got going on, I've been told I need more sleep.  Sooooo, I'll give it a try....Not saying I'm jumping right to 8 hrs...but I'll try more than 4-5   heehee

Still a lot to work on, but then again, no one is perfect.  So just when you think your work is done...you turn the page.....Until next time

7 comments:

  1. So PROUD of you for "JUST DOING IT"....yes, writing the 1st entry into YOUR blog! I'm excited to have been here to read & witness this personal journey of yours...to surround yourself with BETTER everything! I look forward to being a regular reader of your blog & hope to feed off of your strength! The pressures on (haha)....enjoy, embrace & never underestimate all that you're capable of!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Proud of you Dave! I've been trying to get back into working out and your quotes and updates on Facebook help me keep my motivation. Some days I look forward to hitting the gym and others not so much ha. You've done a great job being persistent and positive. Two things that are incredibly valuable and admirable. Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So excited for you and proud of you for attempting this journey both in getting fit, but also in writing! Actually sharing your emotions with others is huge for you. I am sooo happy for you. xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very proud of you Dave! You have an amazing way with words. You really put things into perspective! Thanks for the shout out on your blog. I feel famous! I am looking forward to running Cleveland with you and Jenn!

    ReplyDelete