Monday, January 24, 2011

Should I be worried.....?

There is real power in being thankful and appreciative. When you express appreciation, not only does it empower the people who hear your words, but it also releases joy inside of you. You'll find whatever you will praise, you will raise! Who will you empower & raise today with your words? - Rex Crain
 
The one thing about deciding to train for the marathon, besides getting in better shape, is that it adds structure to my life.  I have learned that while at times it is frustrating to "follow" a plan or a routine, it helps me be better organized and keep focused...focused on life in general.  Whenever you set a goal to do something, whether it be in your job, in your personal life, etc, you are going to make sacrifices.  Some may be small, some may be life altering.  That depends on you.  It is these sacrifices that make you focus.  How bad do you want the goal you set?  How important is it that you accomplish the goal?  For me, I don't feel (or look at it) as me giving up anything.  Sure there are things I'd love to do, but then again, how important were THOSE things.  There are times and tribulations in everything we go through in life.  But in the end we need to sit back and let things sink in.  I'm doing this for me, but in a small way doing it for anyone that I can "help"....So I can't let myself down as well as letting my friends down...
 
Friday - Rest Day
Learning to follow directions.  Legs felt good from the week as did my mind and body.  The day could not go by quick enough as I was looking forward to the weekend.  After work I went home to relax, clean and do some laundry.....I know, I know, ya'll are jealous, admit it....LOL  Trying to be sensible, since I had my longest run to date bright and early....Gym opens at 9am
 
Saturday - 7 Miles  (1 hr, 1 min, 24 sec)
Woke up early, knowing I had a long run and plan was to go to the gym at 9.  With my long runs, I also need to make sure I'm set for my "post race", which means lots of stretching and an ice bath, as well as lots of rehydration.
Knowing there are only 3 treadmills at the condo gym, I wanted to get there early.  I was trying to 'look forward' to 7 miles on the treadmill.  I realize I have to venture outside for long runs sooner rather than later, but the snow throws a wrench in things.  Of course I laugh as I write this because Jodi and Jenn (who are allowing/making me run the marathon w/them) run bright in early in Cleveland for their long runs and this weekend it was snowing and -3 degrees outside.  Either they are nuts or I'm just a wimp.....I'm going to lean towards a little bit of both.  heehee
I set my goal to run under a 9 minute mile pace.  I was trying to ignore the other people in the gym.  Bad thing about running on a treadmill are the signs that say "please limit to 20 minutes if people are waiting".  I of course didn't want to upset anyone, but I also didn't want to interupt my run.  Guess I would worry about that when the time came.  Run was going very smoothly and the first 3 miles flew by.  Someone hopped onto the treadmill next to me, which most times is a good thing.  You get the feeling of "racing" someone and it is just another thing to help the time pass.  But unfortunately he walked most of the time, so it was a bit of a bummer.  5 miles into the run and was feeling really good, so I decided to speed it up a bit and finish the last 2 miles strong.  As I was hitting the buttons, I hit one that showed the treadmill only goes for 60 minutes.  Of course I could do 2 things.  Start sprinting and speed it up to finish before the hour was up, (which I knew was not smart) or just let it end, restart and finish.  I kept motoring along and took it in stride.  In the back of my mind I have the time limit on the treadmill, wondering if the others wanted on, along with trying to stay positive and finish strong.  For some odd reason my mind focused on the fact that I had not gotten a side stitch the whole time (seriously?? I mean, why was I thinking that...lol)  Granted, I'm thankful for that, but was hoping not to jinx it.  Treadmill hit the 60 minute mark and went into cooldown mode.  I quickly tried and was successful at speeding it back up to my original speed.  Knowing I only had a short time left, finished strong and still had a few minutes to cooldown.
Spent the next 15-20 minutes stretching and reviewing my run in my head as I normally do.  Headed off to Tim Hortons for an XL hot chocolate and back home to "enjoy" my ice bath.
Decided on pizza for dinner....yummmy yes...healthy not so much.  And for 'dessert' I had a taco.  May have been the BEST tasting taco I've everrrrrrr had (Hey, it's been awhile since I've been able to enjoy one, so give me a break...heehee)
Spent the night hanging out and relaxing with friends, catching up with long overdue time...Looking forward to more.  Sometimes the best nights are ones just chillin, no worries, no distractions other than friends.
 
Sunday - Cross Train
Spent Sunday in Cleveland, catching up with friends.  Tough part about not living there is when I do go up to visit, there is only so much time in the day.  I try and make my rounds and this time was to distribute/collect money from pools I'm a part of and other things.  I of course have been getting the "you should move back" and "so when are you moving up here" comments.
Didn't sleep well the night before but was up bright and early for 7am workout.  Maybe it was great night I had, maybe it was just too many things on my mind.  Got in 30 minutes on the elliptical and another 30 minutes on the bike.  Feeling great from my long run the day before so I'm still a bit amazed.  I realize I have run 7 miles before, but I have never felt this good afterwards.  Maybe in my head, it's sort of a weekend high....
Headed up to Westlake for Church and then spent the day trying to relax with friends which was good because it seems that as long as it took for the weekend to come, it left even quicker.
As I lay in bed last night, I took some time to review some things.  I allowed myself to be thankful for the things I have and for the people in my life.  I wanted to rewind back to Saturday (but maybe at least to AFTER the run...lol)
 
Week 2 completed, week 2 successful.  Definitely need to work on the water consumption on weekends as I neglected that....Baby steps...
Life is good, yet in regards to the training, I still have to wonder, should I be worried....?
 
Until next time.....

2 comments:

  1. Seven miles?! Holy cow! Haha I'm happy with my four (that's on a good day. Don't tell anyone lol) Sounds like a great week! Keep it up! Good luck :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You absolutely should not be worried! The most important thing anyone has ever told me is to trust your training! Now in regards to Jenn and I being nuts you are totally inaccurate there...plain and simple we are distance runners and we are hard core sub-zero warriors and soon you will be driving up to Cleveland to run a long run with us in the tundra!! LOL. Outstanding work this week! 2 down, 16 to go!

    ReplyDelete