Friday, August 19, 2011

Loving this no boot thing....sort of

Are you flirting with your dreams or are you committed? If you are committed, remember this: Anytime you make a commitment to something, it will be tested. People will try to distract you, challenge you, or even try to get you to compromise your values. Sometimes you might even have to stand alone when your following through on your commitments. Finally the question remains...are you flirting or are you committed? - Rex Crain

Week 2 sans boot started off with a weekend trip to Cleveland.  Had a seminar meeting with Monavie and they had a speaker come into town.  Packed house and alot of information, so it was a pretty cool event. 
I also promised Jodi's daughter Kaelynn the next time I was up I would bring popsicles, since that Friday she was getting her tonsils out and would not be able to eat much.  So Mr. Dave went over and got sucked into playing Marvel Comics Memory game, Connect 4 and Jr Monopoly.  It was still fun despite losing 2 out of the 3....not even on purpose.....I still don't even know how to play Jr Monopoly.  Also, much to the frustration of Jodi and the amusement of her husband, I seemed to be the only person to get her kid to drink.
Of course the weekend couldn't be complete without an ice cream stop with the Cleveland 10-Miler girls.  Deb, Kim and Mellisa met up (Bridgette ditched us) and it was a great time catching up.  Mellisa's son Matt joined in with Jodi and her kids this time.  I swear they are all absolutely amazing and they are the most positive upbeat people I've ever met.
During that time I thought it would be funny if I mention the pet shop around the corner, since Jodi's daughter loves to go there (and Jodi...not so much...lol)  So we met her husband there and walked around checking out the furry little critters, well, now it was her turn to get me back.  They had thought it would be funny if I came with them to some store named Justice.  Lets just say an all girls store was not as fun as the pet store....LOL

In the beginning of the week I had my follow-up with the doctor.  The last I saw him he told me to make 2 appointments.  One for a little over 2 weeks and one for less than a month.  If my foot was really bothering me, come back in 2 weeks and he would perform the deep tissue massage, something called Active Release Technique.  If it felt fine, cancel and he would see me in a month to discuss running again.  Well, things were going well, until for some reason this past weekend it slowly started getting worse.  I played it off (like I always do) and figured it was fine and was going to cancel the appointment.  Then I remembered something my friend Morgan said (who unfortunately is dealing with a stress fracture recovery as well) and that was to not mess around with the pain and not to hide it. (ok, I'm not quoting her...but I think she was telling me not to be stubborn)
So, I kept the appointment and went for the treatment.  It felt like my foot was getting flattened like a pancake.  I laughed when the doctor told me after to ice it because "it may not feel so good the next day or so."  Gee I wonder why....LOL

Dropped down to only one PT appointment for this week, which not sure is good or bad.  But considering I had A.R.T. on Tuesday, it was probably for the better.  My regular therapist was on vacation, so someone new stepped in.  I'm more than familiar with the routine as far as the exercises, which one's I like, which ones I dislike...(lunges...cough cough)  So got on the leg press machine and he tells me the sets.  I'm the first to admit that I'm a little cloudy on the amount of sets I do, since it varies depending on pain level and progression, but I thought it was more than normal.  Got the leg presses and calf raises complete and as I started to get off the machine he informs me to stay where I'm at.....New exercises. 
Oh joy, not only has he added reps, but new things to do.  He has me doing some form of "jumps" on the machine, without coming to a stop, then after that, doing single leg pushoffs, simulating a running motion.  I was definitely hesitant on both of these, especially at first.  He laughed and said don't worry, you won't break the machine, just push.  I had to inform him that it wasn't the machine I was worried about breaking.
Each exercise after got an increase of reps (except for the lunges...woohoo)  Towards the end he made the comment that he was just following orders and laughed how my PT went on vacation and made him out to be the mean guy making me do all this new stuff and more reps.....
My legs are pretty sore at the moment after all of that this week, but there is a glimmer of hope.....Which is no boot, so while there are times I want to avoid the soreness and go back to the boot, there's only one way to get it stronger..

Next week has another treatment lined up along with PT, so I'll just take it as it goes.  One step at a time.

Until Next Time.....

4 comments:

  1. I'm glad you listened to Morgan and didn't try to hide the pain. I'm also so glad you have access to the help you need. You'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you went to the treatment! Sounds like this injury is such a pain in the butt!! lol. I guess what injury isn't.

    And I liked your comment on my last post. Haha, no I'm not following your marathon training plan!! And my 16 miles went very well. I found someone to run with and it went well. More on it in my next post maybe tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh and my cousin took me to a mona vie presentation too b/c her friend became one of the sellers of it. I was interested in the money making aspect but I'm not going to do anything with it. I just went b/c my cousin asked me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Keeping my fingers crossed for continued progress friend! And good job listening to your pain and going in!!! Don't jeopardize your recovery with stubbornness!

    ReplyDelete