Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Physical Therapy - Reward for running

By feeling good throughout the day, you become an instrument of peace, and it's through this channel that you eradicate problems. - Dr. Wayne Dyer

I have to laugh, since when people see my boot for the first time, they always ask "What happened?"  My answer is "I attempted to run a Marathon, this is my reward."  Ok, so maybe I should say I completed a marathon....but we shall leave that discussion for another day.  Usually the comment comes with a chuckle from both parties and if they ask, I give them the story of the actual marathon and my training for it.
Well today started another phase of getting out of this lovely boot.  Physical Therapy.....I had some mixed emotions.  Not because I have grown to love this thing, cuz lets face it, I have not.  Can't wait to be able to be normal again. (and by that I mean walking without a black boot, since we all know I'm far from normal)  But there is still a considerable amount of pain with the boot off.....and PT means I have to spend more time out of it.
Physical therapy today did not consist of a lot of torture, mainly because some of the things she wanted to do she couldn't since pain was already there.  Did the whole conversation of "how did it happen" and "where does it hurt".  She poked and prodded and checked my range of motion and flexibility.......(Focus people, this is not a dream I had, I'm talking about PT here...heehee)
She had me walk to the other side of the room and sort of giggled as I was coming back and commented how it was obvious I was favoring one side and carefully placing my right foot down.  I tried walking as "correct" as possible despite the pain.  She then went over 4 different stretching exercises that I am to do each day to get the range of motion in my ankle and to help my calf, which btw, is now smaller than my left leg...LOL
Finished off with some ultrasound on the bottom of my foot and that was it.  Quick and easy....We scheduled our next few appointments and as I was leaving I was noticing my foot really hurt (something it rarely did while the boot was on)  She sort of laughed and said, "Ya, I'm sure he's not too happy with me right now"....I said imagine how pissed he is at me, I brought him here. (yes, I was just talking about my leg as he, I know, very funny....insert sarcasm)
Its going to be an interesting next couple of weeks/months.  Its not as bad as a few years ago when I was in sick in the hospital for weeks, lost most of my definition in my legs and had to "re-train" to walk again after about 2-3 months.  I can at least walk, just with pain....Just need to take it slow, I'm in no hurry....

In the last 2 weeks I got the opportunity to dog sit.  Some have joked I should open up my own little service with the amount I do.  But when you're single its not like I have a family to look after, so when people go out of town, guess who is first on their list?  Well, I have no idea who is, but somehow they all say no and the bottom of the list comes me....heeheee, ok, kidding.  First week were 2 Black Labs and a cat....after that were 2 Westies and a cat.  Luckily the house with the Labs has a fenced in backyard, that way I do not have to walk them (or should I say, they would not have to walk me with my boot)  They are all pretty well behaved....for the most part  :-)  But what they really are is all spoiled....I almost want to come back in my next life as a dog.





Next PT appointment is Friday,what a way to kick off the weekend.  One step closer to running again....well, at least walking again.  :-)

Until next time....

3 comments:

  1. And just like that, you've entered my world again. Welcome to PT and all the "fun". Be prepared to have to both restrain yourself from cussing AND kicking your PT in the face. :) LOL! My PT now has this maniacal laugh every time he does the "soft tissue" massage on me cuz I told him that's what I'm thinking the whole time he's doing it. :) But seriously, it really isn't so bad and will make you feel significantly better about your recovery. The best part? You'll start seeing the results so fast because you're so weak! Yay! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that was a, er...strange post! I hope "he" feels better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry to hear that you still have so much pain. btw, your mildly self-deprecating sense of humor always makes me chuckle. :)

    ReplyDelete