Monday, July 11, 2011

Dash for Donation 5k

Once you run out of excuses you can then become the person you were meant to be. - Unknown

Saturday was the Lifeline of Ohio - Dash for Donation 5k.  I had signed up to support Team Noah Man before my injury was diagnosed and despite the boot, I decided to go out and join them in the event, since after all we were just walking.  Here is an article from Saturday's Columbus Dispatch featuring the family.
The purpose of the day was to promote organ and tissue donation and transplantation and to encourage Ohioans to join the Ohio Donor Registry and give the “Gift of Life.”

I can honestly say I can't remember the last time I did a 5k.  These types of things are more fun with groups of people, since I can run 3 miles anywhere without paying an entry fee.
While we arrived, I headed off to see if I could find a friend of mine, Marc, who had his own team and walking the 5k.  I went to college with him and his wife.  He had a kidney transplant in 2000 and is currently going through dialysis.  It was great seeing them, albeit, for the short time as I went back to find the rest of the team at the "start line".

The morning started off with a Kids Dash with the Mascots.  Was pretty neat and surprisingly only saw one kid bite it.  But it was cool to watch the mascots form a wall to make sure he didn't get trampled on (at least more than he already had)

Kids Dash with the Mascots

So we start on our way, a nice leisurely stroll around downtown Columbus.  Weather was amazing and it was a lot of fun.  But, damnnnnn, it felt like I was out there all day. I missed seeing the first mile marker and after about a half hour I didn't think it would ever end.  We finally came up to mile 2 and people were asking the old "are we almost there" question.  Definitely a lot different than "running" a race.  I can also see why its much easier to run than walk.  You finish a lot quicker....heehee

Alan, Phil, Mark and I....I guess I got the boot, they got the kids

I got a lot of comments on the boot, which I couldn't really hide.  I had 3 strangers take pictures of me along the way.  One of them passed me and said that she had to take a picture to send to her husband and show him how lazy he was.  The next thanked me for being out there on one good leg.....But the last one was the funniest (for me at least)  I heard some giggling and someone mentioning how they couldn't believe I was walking with that on.  Well, a few seconds later the woman comes up and told me "she had to take a picture of my boot to send to her friend".  I smiled and responded by saying "it's ok I know you were only taking a picture of my butt".  Her friend started laughing and she bit her tongue and started blushing.  Hey at this point in the morning I needed a chuckle and thanked her for providing it.

We finally made it to the end.  It's weird, I definitely had some mini flashbacks from Cleveland.  Felt like I was walking for hours.  Ended up going to Bob Evans for some brunch and I headed back for an afternoon cat nap.  (I think it was deserved)

Myself, Dana, Hillary & Mark close to the finish


184 participants for Team Noah Man....Where's Waldo

I'm definitely feeling the affects of the "race" right now.  My lower legs and feet are pretty sore and all I did was walk.  LOL  But it was fun and for a great cause.
Goal for this week is to figure out when my physical therapy starts.

Until Next Time.....

4 comments:

  1. Love that you went and walked, boot and all!

    ReplyDelete
  2. But hey, no being out in the rain for hours! I love that you did this event. Way to stay positive and active.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great job with walking the 5k! I did one recently with my cousin and her family for autism, where I just walked too. It's weird to walk when you are so used to running. But it's so relaxing and enjoyable!

    I usually only run 5ks now with my cousin Nick b/c I help support him in the run. I did run one myself last Nov. b/c I wanted to see what I could run one in. I was sick but came in at 27+ mins. Not too bad for being sick and also since my previous 5k's that I used to run a long time ago were 32+ mins!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great pictures and a great event for a good cause. I can't imagine walking 3.1 miles in a boot. You are amazing!!

    ReplyDelete