Monday, May 23, 2011

The week after.....What's next

True genius is the ability to make everything easy. Life is actually easy, but we as humans make it hard. A stroll in the park, a laugh with some friends, a black dress, white pearls, a black suite and white tie. Simplicity, carried to an extreme, becomes elegance! - Rex Crain

They say this is one of the hardest parts.  Yes, the training is tough, yes the actually 26.2 is tough, but what is toughest I think is the "after" part.  What to do next.  All of a sudden there is this uncertainty.  You almost feel that there is no purpose, nothing to strive for.  Because after the race is done the only thing you have left is to "rest and recover"  That's all I heard.  Doctor, friends, etc, etc....Hydrate, eat, rest and repeat.  Its like I'm in a shampoo commercial...All you have to do is just wash, rinse and repeat.  Well, there's only so much of that I can do.  (Not the shampoo part, since well, I shave my head...lol).  So all that is left to do is just think and well, to be honest, I already do plenty of that on my own, I don't need more time to ponder.
This past week flew by a lot faster than normal.  The fact that I was busy at work helped.  Not sure how much rest I got, although there was no gym time....
Saturday I decided to test out the wheels and go for a run.  It was a great morning to run and it seemed most of Columbus agreed.  Runners and bikers were all over the bike paths in Antrim.  I realized on my way there that I forgot my water, but knew I should be fine since the runners group usually puts water along the path and this was the case this time as well.
My plan was to take it easy, head out and see how I felt.  Then either turn around at mile 3 or keep trucking along to mile 4.  Decided to go to 4 and turn around.  The weather was just too nice and more importantly my body was responding well.  It's weird because I joked that I would be on crutches for a week after the marathon and here I am running.  Crazy, yet satisfying.  Made it back to the start and to my surprise there was a group gathered along the deck passing out free ice cream.  I mean, who passes up free ice cream.  I did at least get some water and stretched before succumbing to my temptations.  :-)
Later that night I headed to the Clippers game and I think the combination of the run and all that walking took a toll on my feet/legs and they felt a bit sore.  It's all good though, nothing a little rest and ice can't cure (at least that's what I'm telling myself...heehee)
This morning I got the urge to get back in the pool.  For the time being, I'm going to be safe and only run when I feel right, so to get other forms of cardio in, the pool comes a calling.  Nice quick and easy 1 mile swim.  Thought about doing another mile, but talked myself out of it....LOL
For now I'm still unsure what the immediate future holds.....I've been told, I'm still being noncommittal on my next step.  Yes, I am....I'd love to get back out there and do another marathon.  I accomplished my goal of finishing my first, now I want to run one....start to finish....Which of course would be Columbus in October.  But I also need to work on my weight, need to focus on my health and need to look at other things going on in my life.  As well as map out my long term Ironman goal. (2 years as of now if I had to decide) 
My friend Jodi has decided to get back out there and run the full marathon in Columbus, and worst case is I get to be at the finish line to watch her get her new goal.  Jenn and Marla are set to run the Half, along with a few other friends I know.  The Cleveland 10 miler girls are too good to run Columbus however......I'm teasin, I'm teasin....Deb will be attempting her first full marathon in Chicago a week earlier w/Mellisa by her side and I will be rooting them on. 
No matter what happens, I know the past 6 months or so have changed my life for the better....so moving forward just makes sense....
Until next time......

1 comment:

  1. So glad the last 6 months have changed your life for the better. It's amazing what running and friendships can do for you! When you decide where you plan to do the Ironman you best let me know because I will be there cheering my heart out for you!!

    ReplyDelete