Sunday, April 10, 2011

1 Down, 4 to go....

Faith brings good things into your life and being afraid brings bad things into your life. This may sound too simple but in my experience it is absolutely the truth. The simple truths in life have the biggest impact on us. Having faith, or trusting, in God, yourself and others will always lead to success. Success is having faith. - Keith Cameron Smith

4 to go, as in long runs....Today marked another step towards whether or not I will be able to attempt/run/finish my first marathon next month (35 days....talk about close)
My plan was, as usual, to get my long run in on the treadmill.  I wanted to keep it easy and as boring and monotonous a treadmill run is, it is without hills, without bumps, without weather changes.  But I got a text from one of my best friends Marla, who I ran my first 2 half marathons with, asking if I wanted to go running.  We decided to head to Antrim Park, rather than the hilly sidewalks of Bethel Rd.  She wanted to do 6 miles and my plan was 7.  My legs have been a bit sore, so I was hesitant to go run outside.  Part of it was a mental block, since the last time I ran outside, I only made it a few miles and could not finish.
But I figured why not...Plus the weather was absolutely gorgeous, probably in the 80's.  It was rather weird to get ready for a long run and not put layers on, not worry about a hat or gloves.  I did however forget my IT Band brace, which ended up being ok.....
The plan was to head out on the trails and turn around at the 3 mile mark, then once we got back while Marla stretched, I would finish my last mile.  At the time, I just wanted to make it there.  All in all it was a great run.  We started off at a nice pace, after 2 miles we stopped to walk since someone not named Dave was feeling the effects of partying the night before. (heehee, still luv ya)  Picked it back up and at about mile 4 I was told to just go ahead and run.  Reluctantly I did, since I didn't feel like I'd win the battle of words....I kept a nice easy pace and hit the turn at mile 6 and headed back out for my last mile.  Was able to time it perfectly and met with Marla with a half mile to go and sorta made her run to the "finish".  We got in some stretching and then I told her my new plan and that I (if it goes well) would now be able to run with her at the Cap City Half Marathon in 4 weeks, since as she put it, I ditched her last year and made her run alone....

So as of now, it's a wait and see approach.  They, as in the legs, feel good, staying positive and icing as we speak.  But for now, it's a step at a time.  Make it through my 4 mile runs this week and focus on next weekend (8 or 9)....

Then the Cleveland 10 miler on Easter weekend, 12 miles the week after that, then the Cap City Half Marathon in Columbus.....They never said it would be easy....And as in usual "me" fashion, I don't do it the way it "should" be done, I gotta make it difficult for myself....

until next time....

No comments:

Post a Comment