Sunday, February 6, 2011

100 Days...Seems so close, yet so far away

The only way of finding the limits of the possible is by going beyond them into the impossible - Arthur C. Clarke
 
Kind of a fitting quote, with so many things that 'seem' impossible.  The reason they seem impossible is that you have never accomplished it.  For me it's like attempting my first marathon.  I know it can be done, because I envision myself crossing the finish line when I run.  But it has yet to happen.  Sort of how the mind works I guess, and I know only I can change that.  Similar to my goal of breaking 2 hours in a half marathon.  This week, as mentally and physically challenging as it's been, has helped me get closer to believing that the goal will happen....21 days in chilly Columbus.
 
Apologies for the long post....Was never able to do an update during the week
 
Monday - Rest Day
Enough said....
 
Tuesday - 3 Miles (26:47)
With my issues last week, I decided to break out the knee brace today.  I also decided to "take it easy" on my short runs after speeding it up the first 3 weeks.  The one thing for me though that I didn't want to concede, was to continue to stay under the magic 9:10 pace per mile.  I figured as long as I did that, mentally it would keep me sane and positive.  With the nice ice/snow storm hitting the area, schools were closed, so the community center was nice and empty as parents stayed home and the older folks stayed off the roads.  Which was good for the ride in, since if there is one thing I don't have patience for, it's stupid drivers.  For the most part the run went smooth.  Definately felt some tenderness in the knee, but nothing I could not run through.  I was "encouraged" for the most part and I will take it.  Was a bit concerned however as the rest of the day I was walking around with a limp.
 
Wednesday - 4 Miles (35:28)
Another cold morning of scraping off ice from the car (and thinking how crazy I am up to go run....but at least not running outside)  My calf was a bit sore, which gave me one more thing to question and think about.  It's weird, I feel like my body is breaking down, but I also realize it's just small things.  I tell myself this is supposed to happen...doesn't matter if I'm delusional  heehee
Tough run overall as I have to admit I thought alot about my knee during the run and that may have had something to do with my calf hurting.  When one side hurts, you tend to over compensate and let the other side do most of the work.
 
Thursday - 3 Miles (26:42)
Today marked a countdown to the Marathon....100 days until the race.  This was weird because my mind was on both ends of the rope.  On one end, I was thinking how far away it was and wondering if the day would ever come, wondering if I could survive 100 more days of training and make it to the start line.  On the other end, I was thinking how close it is and started to question if I have enough in me to do this, will I be prepared enough and doubt started to come into my mind.
Granted I know both are "correct" and I sort of compare it to the half full/half empty discussion.  Either way, all I can do is make the best of each day and be thankful for each day my eyes open.  Just stay positive and have faith.
The gym was back to "normal" as we did not get much snow and it warmed up a bit overnight, so people were back on schedule.  Woke up a little late and actually contemplated waiting until after work to get in my workout.  But got my butt out of bed and decided to make the best of it.  Been a tough week and while I had thoughts of my impending 9 mile run on Saturday I needed to get through these 3 miles.  Got my focus on and took a nice and easy pace.  Had a few tweaks in my knee and of course had another setback, only in the sense that my OTHER knee started acting up.  Ughhhh...
 
Friday - Rest Day
Nothing too exciting....The work day flew by, which was a pleasant surprise.  Was going to make it an early night as I planned to run early on Saturday, but decided to head to The Barn and catch Lt Dan's New Legs.  They are a pretty cool band and it's not a bad place to watch live music.  No cover is always a plus.  So had a few drinks and made it a late night.  I needed to enjoy myself.  Been a long week especially mentally....
 
Saturday - 9 Miles (1 hr 21 minutes 41 seconds)
Well, since I decided to enjoy myself last night I got a late start on my run.  Slept in a bit and got things ready for pre and post run stuff and ran in the afternoon.  Short runs are easy to prepare for, just in and out.  Longer runs, I need to break out the compression sleeves for my legs, need to make sure I have bags of ice for my post long run ice bath as well as drinks and food ready for post race meal.
Got to gym around 2:30 and there were only 2 cars, so I was pretty excited.  Then I find out both people were walking on the treadmills, leaving only one open.  Only problem was the other treadmill is "broke" and only goes up to a certain speed, so it's kind of useless.  I decided to hop on the bike and warm up until they left and luckily it was only 15 minutes.
My goal today was to finish under the 2 hour half marathon pace (which is 9:10 per mile)  I set the treadmill at 9:05 pace and off I went.  It felt weird to think, but I felt like I was going slow.  My buddy, the side stitch, came back to visit around mile 2, but nothing major.  It was surprisingly smooth sailing until I had to stop and reset the treadmill after mile 6.  I  had a few tweaks of my knee, but ran through it.  I tried moving around while resetting, but it was only about a 20 second rest or so no big deal...3 miles left.  It wasn't until mile 8 when my mind starting playing tricks with me.  Mostly had to do with the fact that I knew in my head that I was almost done and as is in the past, my head tries to shut my body down early.  But fought through it and after a nice cool down I felt good, especially thinking about making it another 4 miles to break 2 hours in 3 weeks....woohoooo
Definately took extra time to stretch and rehydrate, headed to Tim Hortons for my XL hot chocolate and back for my ice bath.  It was a bit different running in the afternoon, but in a way it felt like my whole day was shot.  Took a while to warm back up and when I finally did, I could feel soreness in my foot.  I swear, I'm going to wake up one day from a run and my nose will be sore...lol  I decided I should stay in for the night and relax rather than head out to watch the UFC PPV.
 
We shall see Monday or Tuesday how successful the run was today.  Next week was my first "concern" point in the training due to my past 2 times running this distance.  So it's time to stay positive and pray the legs 'officially' survive today.
 
Sunday - Cross Train (1/2 hr elyptical)
Super Bowl Sunday....I look forward to this day actually.  My buddy hosts a Super Bowl party each year.  Super Bowl kicks off around 6:30, but the party starts around noon.  Lots of food, lots of poker, lots of drinks, lots of fun.  Originally he hosted it at his house, until a few years ago when he had a kid so it had to be moved, so it's now at On the Rocks.  Unfortunately it's considered a "Steelers" bar, so to watch the game this year, I have to put up with all the bandwagon Steeler fans that live in Ohio.  If I had to choose who I was rooting for, I would say the Packers, only because it would be nice to watch everyone whine and complain...lol  But personally, I'm
rooting for my wallet, so whatever it takes for me to win the pools (even rooting for the Steelers), then so be it....
Because of the Super Bowl party, I passed on waiting until the community center opened to swim and rather went to the condo gym, whipped out a half hour on the elyptical with some core work and weights.
Off to play some poker with the boys and enjoy the rest of the day....
 
I need to run outside sooner or later (maybe next weekend actually)  Just don't have it in me to run in the snow on the icey sidewalks...lol  Here is to hoping that there is no snow the last weekend of February. 
Looking back, the week had higs and lows, but I did manage to do 2 things that were important in my mind.  I completed each run.....and I did them in under my goal time.
The week ahead includes another bump in mileage on Wednesday as well as one on 'long run' Saturday...But I believe it will be ok.
 
Until next time....

 

1 comment:

  1. You did a great job this week! A lot of marathon training is mind over matter and you certainly demonstrated that this past week! Very proud of you for keeping up with your training! Keep up the great work!!

    ReplyDelete